Author Topic: What did you do today NOT lighting wise  (Read 52434 times)
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #330 on: January 28, 2023, 02:13:10 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I know license plates in America allow up to seven characters; is it "MADMAXX?"

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #331 on: January 28, 2023, 05:59:18 AM » Author: Rommie
I think "NUTTER" has a certain ring to it  :mrg:

Sadly we aren't allowed plates like you can have over here  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #332 on: January 30, 2023, 12:21:25 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Unfortunately Missouri only allows 6, and both of your guesses are incorrect. :P

I will give a hint, its right in plain sight

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #333 on: January 30, 2023, 12:33:10 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
"MAD MAN?"

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #334 on: January 30, 2023, 12:38:06 AM » Author: joseph_125
"Blb Max"?

Was gonna guess your username but that doesn't fit in 6 characters. Ontario allows 8 characters on a custom plate.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #335 on: January 30, 2023, 07:51:00 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Nope and Nope, You're close though Joseph. 8 characters!?  :poof: Never seen them go that high, does Ontario normally do 8 digit plates or is it only on Vanity plates?

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #336 on: March 09, 2023, 10:30:45 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Had to replace my sump pump today . I came home after what turned out to be a simple cleaning and exam at the dentist to a really strong acrid , sour smell in the back room ! After a bit of seaching , I checked down in the "pit" to find the entire area full of smoke !  :short: :beacon:  So much for the "thermal cutout for safety" that the old pump was equipped with ! The damned thing was hotter than hell when I 1st tried to remove it ! 1/2 hr . later and it was still very warm to the touch ! A quick trip to Home Repo and about 10 minutes of labor and all is right again !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #337 on: March 10, 2023, 12:11:08 AM » Author: joseph_125
@Bulbman256 - Ontario normally uses 7 character plates with the format AAAA-000 for passenger vehicles. It used to be six characters with the format 000-AAA. Pickups get a truck plate (black text instead of blue) with the format AA-00000 instead. 8 characters are only used for vanity plates.

@wide-lite 1000 - I wonder if the thermal cut out is the auto resetting type, those sometimes get the contacts welded shut after too many on/off cycles. Happens sometimes with magnetic fluorescent ballasts that were allowed to overheat and cycle on and off too many times.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #338 on: March 10, 2023, 01:13:25 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Here in Washington, the previous character format was 000-AAA which started in 1987. That format was replaced by the current format AAA0000 in 2011. Vanity plates are still seven characters, but the old ones were made out of metal and the current ones are made out of vinyl.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 03:06:18 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #339 on: March 10, 2023, 02:55:30 AM » Author: Econolite03
My plate is going to say “FS SD10” (reference to a siren model). We allow up to 7 digits on our plates, and can customize them easily.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #340 on: March 10, 2023, 05:40:24 AM » Author: Rommie
You're lucky on your side of the pond. Here, we can only have plates that conform to the normal issued sequences, and they are subject to very high prices. I don't currently have a car, but I do have a plate on hold, which I will fit when we do get a car again. It's RIA 1039 which is originally from Northern Ireland but comes under the jurisdiction of DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) which is the government department responsible for driving licences and vehicle plates in the UK. It cost me £280 when I first bought it 20 years ago, but I'm told I could get over £2000 for it if I sold it today. Not going to, though..!

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #341 on: March 10, 2023, 05:15:00 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 @ joseph :  I'm gonna guess this WAS the auto reset type as there's no reset button anywhere that I can see .

@ Ria : I recently saw a british car show (don't remember which one) which showed an auction featuring old and desireable number plates . Some of them sold for crazy money !

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #342 on: March 10, 2023, 05:33:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting that they reuse license plates like that over in the UK. Over here license plates typically stay with the owner when vehicle ownership changes hands so they're isn't a market for old license plates for use here. Most older plates are typically resold only for collecting, decoration, or any other off street use.

There is one exemption though, the MTO (Ministry of Transport of Ontario) allows plates with month/years on them (early 70s and prior) to be reattached to vintage cars with a matching model year. They're known as YOM Plates.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #343 on: March 10, 2023, 05:36:26 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
We do the YOM plates here also .  I don't know if they still do it , but when I lived in Georgia , the plates stayed with the car !

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #344 on: March 10, 2023, 06:53:48 PM » Author: Rommie
Under normal circumstances, plates here (number plates or registration plates, not 'licence/license' plates) stay with the car. It's possible for them to be transferred to another vehicle if the owner wants to do so, for example if it has a special meaning for them or happens to spell something they like, but plates always have to follow the correct format, it is not allowed to mis-space them to spell a word, by using a figure 5 to look like an S, for example. People do do this though, and are frequently pulled up by the police for it. There is a thriving market for older plates, for example I once saw the plate 'BBC 1' sell for £27,000..! The DVLA also sell plates, but they are nearly always at a premium price  :-\

It's also not permitted to assign a plate to a vehicle that makes it appear newer than it actually is. Plates generally contain a number or letter code indicating when it was first registered, and while it's permitted to assign an older plate to a newer vehicle, you can't do it the other way around.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies