Author Topic: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps  (Read 8493 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #60 on: June 04, 2023, 08:12:01 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
One thing I dislike about LED lighting is the heavy metal content and I have been having worries about LED being the only option for lighting in every country in the world. From what I have seen, Japan has not banned incandescent lamps or even 4 foot halophosphate fluorescent lamps although some halophosphate lamps have been discontinued for a while.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #61 on: June 04, 2023, 08:23:41 PM » Author: RRK
Not much heavy metal in a LED lamp. They are almost 100% RoHS now, that means no lead in the solder and also some nasty flame retardants are banned. Lead is almost completely removed from modern consumer electronics - only some limited applications are exempted, for example when semiconductor construction absolutely needs some really low melting glass, which is impossible without using lead oxide. We are talking milligram amounts anyway. One improperly discarded car battery will bring ~ 10KG of lead to the environment.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #62 on: June 06, 2023, 05:55:20 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have also known about LED lamps being illegal to throw straight into the dumpster and requiring disposal in E-waste containers because they also contain arsenic from what I have been aware of.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #63 on: June 06, 2023, 12:00:48 PM » Author: RRK
Some red LED chips may contain some very minor amount (milligram level) of arsenic as AsGaAl material. This is very old-school, known from 1960's. No arsenic in modern white LEDs. Some RGB chips may still have AsGaAl.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #64 on: June 18, 2023, 10:54:04 PM » Author: Richmond2000
One more reason I don't sell on eBay !!
had a 18W SOX wall pack get flagged by EBAY - I got a refund and the seller got to keep his money BUT the LAMP became Ebay's "property" and I never saw it again on EBAY
it is against EBAY policy for a seller to NOT use there shipping once selected to use it apparently as I have bean told by sellers I have asked for direct shipping to save a boat load on shipping 
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #65 on: June 23, 2023, 11:32:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
That's annoying. The official reason is that HID lamps and similar items are banned from eBay shipping due to mercury content but SOX lamps don't have mercury. Not that the people working there know the difference between SOX and HID.  ::)

I've been looking into this and a decent amount of the items confiscated by eBay shipping end up for resale on eBay (using the original sellers pics ::) ) under the account "8TEN1944". I made a thread here if you want more info.

I just don't do eBay shipping from the US anymore, if it's something I really want from from the US I just get them shipped to a forwarder which brings them over the border and I pick up the item from the fowarder once it's in Canada. Saves a bunch over using eBay's shipping and I don't have to deal with BS like that. I suppose if you're close to the border, I'd just drive over and send the item to a PO box instead.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #66 on: August 26, 2023, 07:26:15 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
According to this document from Feilo-Sylvania, it says that the 2027 ban on all high pressure sodium lamps will affect all of the EU and high wattage quartz metal halide lamps in 1000W and 2000W varieties have already been banned in February of 2023:

https://www.sylvania-lighting.com/media/6587/european-legislation-changes-leaflet_en_hr.pdf

VPL

View Posts
View Gallery
VPL come from my name, not english accronym :)

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #67 on: September 14, 2023, 06:04:59 AM » Author: VPL
Well it is true than LED technology have been matured to the point where it can replace all other technology. Efficiency lm/w is far better than HID. Quality COB LED modules are nearing the 200 lm/w 4000K Ra80.
World is rolling on and nothing can stop it. Now is the time to collect so much hid stuff as you can. From renovations of street lights for an example, or shop's that are waiting for change technology to LED.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #68 on: September 14, 2023, 06:10:07 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I sometimes still have the occasional worry about there becoming a point where anything non-LED becomes almost impossible to find in every country in the world, but there certainly are some others that still argue that banned lamps may still stick around for decades to come. For example, I still sometimes find North American F40CW fluorescent tubes being found in older fixtures even though they have been banned in the USA nearly 30 years ago and before I was even alive.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #69 on: September 14, 2023, 06:12:47 AM » Author: Rommie
We've got all the non-L*D lamps we'll need for the remainder of our lives, so we're ok on that front. Nothing we can do about the apologies for street lights they're putting up everywhere, though  :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

VPL

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #70 on: September 14, 2023, 06:54:24 AM » Author: VPL
If you collect things that are electronic. Ballast, energysavingCFL's for example, it's important to use them sometimes. If they sit on unused for long period time, say 10 years example, the electrolytic capacitors lose their insulation strenght. Up to the malfunction.

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #71 on: January 22, 2024, 10:05:54 AM » Author: Flurofan96
I'll ensure to run my CFL bulbs for a certain period of time to prevent the drying up of the electrolytic capacitor - heck I'm thinking of even investing in a soldering iron and buying the capacitors on the spot. Only one thing is I need to ensure that I don't damage the CFL housing 

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #72 on: January 22, 2024, 11:07:27 AM » Author: Rommie
Soldering irons are always worth having, we've got several here, including a gas-powered one. Never know when they'll come in useful. I used to do a lot of electronics construction back when I first got my amateur radio licence (more years ago than I care to remember  :-X) but not so much these days, my eyesight isn't what it was  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #73 on: January 22, 2024, 01:41:31 PM » Author: RRK
If you collect things that are electronic. Ballast, energysavingCFL's for example, it's important to use them sometimes. If they sit on unused for long period time, say 10 years example, the electrolytic capacitors lose their insulation strenght. Up to the malfunction.

I think this recommendation is overhyped. I work with everything electronics for most of my life, and generally tend to not care about electrolytic capacitors forming. Sometimes you see power supply failures when you turn them on after sitting for some time on the shelf - but mostly these are power semiconductor failures for some reason, not related to capacitors, except dry ones. Electrolytics dry over time, but you can't do anything about this - except eventually replacing them if the item is still valuable...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 01:48:44 PM by RRK » Logged
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #74 on: January 23, 2024, 12:06:05 AM » Author: Michael
What I’m experiencing from time to time is that the very first electronic ballasts from Philips from the early 1980s (BHF 250 12H for TLD HF 50W) is that those which are installed in the controller room of our sub stations and transformer stations are failing more often than those in any other location. The reason for that I see is that the lights in these locations are switched on more often but the lamps run only for a couple of minutes vs. those ballasts in some offices at our company which are running all the day with approximately 4 switching cycles. I already opened such ballasts and I found that the axial capacitor has leaked onto the board or some have one lead corroded away.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies