Author Topic: End of an era for Sylvania?  (Read 5329 times)
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #30 on: May 16, 2023, 06:46:07 PM » Author: BT25
@James: Hmmm...it loads for me. Maybe because you're outside of the US? :wndr:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #31 on: May 16, 2023, 08:40:44 PM » Author: Silverliner
On a separate but related subject, I wonder if Westinghouse’s outsourcing of mogul bases to GE in 1977 after the closing of the Belleville NJ base plant is a sign of depressing things to come in the future, like they were considering a sale of its lighting divisions already by then, or had a plan to gradually close lighting plants and outsource production then they eventually sold to Philips.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #32 on: May 16, 2023, 09:17:03 PM » Author: BT25
@ Silverliner: I think you're onto something. I've had the same option, especially with their luminaire division. For example, look at what became of the OV15...the last generation was nothing like the previous versions. After the sale to Cooper Industries, they replaced it ASAP with the OVS... ::)

Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #33 on: May 16, 2023, 11:18:28 PM » Author: Silverliner
Indeed the 4th gen OV15s and OV25s sucked! The bolts rusted easily in the elements. They have a broken look, or the look of an unfinished prototype that was rushed to market that Crouse-Hinds finally completed with the OVS and OVM. The shape on the street side is exactly the same, just the slipfitter end finally completed.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 03:44:34 PM » Author: Maxim
Except for the SOX lamp manufacture...  :lps: :'(

Ria, do ANY of the big three manufacture SOX lamps at this point in time, or is this the end?

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #35 on: May 23, 2023, 03:46:03 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So far, none of the Big 3 manufacture SOX low pressure sodium lamps anymore, but there are a number of off brand companies that manufacture SOX low pressure sodium lamps in China such as TruHalo and Thorgeon.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #36 on: May 23, 2023, 07:58:17 PM » Author: Rommie
I don't count the Chinese ones. The closure of the Philips plant at Hamilton was the end as far as I'm concerned  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #37 on: May 23, 2023, 10:33:22 PM » Author: Cole D.
The same thing happened to GE too. GE Lighting got split up into two separate entities, the residential line got bought by Savant, a smart home/IOT device manufacturer and the commercial line got bought by Daintree and renamed GE Current. Well it seems recently GE current has been renamed to Current and the GE logo removed from their website.

Plus there is also their nightlights which seem to be just licensed under the GE name by a company called “by Jasco”. Jasco also make Tv antennas, remotes and cables under the GE name. Although lately I’ve seen more of the night lights just branded “Enbrighten” rather than “GE” or “GE Enbrighten.”

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #38 on: May 24, 2023, 12:07:54 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, Jasco also made GE branded undercabinet fixtures during the 2000s too. They were imported but at least came with GE branded lamps. I think they have also picked up GE's small appliance lineup too.

Major appliances on the other hand, are made by Haier using the GE name under license. Gotta wonder if GE still makes any consumer goods at this point. :wndr:
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #39 on: May 24, 2023, 01:10:12 AM » Author: BT25
GE went the way of Westinghouse...it just took around 30 years to do it. ::)

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #40 on: May 24, 2023, 01:53:56 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Ria, do ANY of the big three manufacture SOX lamps at this point in time, or is this the end?
It’s slightly worse than that, Philips Hamilton closed it’s doors in 2019, but Duke Mill and Melton Road are both flattened now and long gone!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #41 on: May 24, 2023, 06:11:14 AM » Author: Rommie
Sorry, Hamilton is gone now too  :'(

By the way Rich, there isn't an apostrophe in 'its' in this context  :P  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #42 on: May 24, 2023, 07:40:56 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
GE went the way of Westinghouse...it just took around 30 years to do it. ::)

I figure that modern GE branded lamps are now made by Savant?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #43 on: May 24, 2023, 03:33:06 PM » Author: James
Sourced by Savant, from other third party manufacturers.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #44 on: May 24, 2023, 06:46:35 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah, Jasco also made GE branded undercabinet fixtures during the 2000s too. They were imported but at least came with GE branded lamps. I think they have also picked up GE's small appliance lineup too.

Major appliances on the other hand, are made by Haier using the GE name under license. Gotta wonder if GE still makes any consumer goods at this point. :wndr:

I’m not sure who makes the GE small appliances, they are labeled Louisville KY though like their large ones.

I doubt GE actually produces any consumer goods at this point. In 1985, GE sold their small appliance division to Black and Decker, although I think there was some co branding for a few years after. B&D actually still makes a few original GE designs to this day.

For about 10 years after 2000, Walmart was selling GE branded small appliances, but they had nothing fo do with GE itself and were rebranded stuff.

In 1987 GE sold its consumer electronics under both the GE and RCA names to Thomson of France. Interestingly Thomson was originally the French “arm” of General Electric. Later Thomson sold off that division to Audiovox, although the GE name was discontinued from electronics by that point.

Not sure what happened to GE’s motor division, but it likely was sold off and changed names of guess.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies