Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you use?  (Read 79886 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #240 on: October 09, 2019, 06:24:16 PM » Author: suzukir122
I was about to completely rule out Iphone anything, @CEB1993, but then that youtuber did mention cases. I forgot about those.
So that might've saved me from not getting the Iphone 8. Still... glass? What were they thinking...? wait a minute... MONEY.
THAT'S what they were thinking. lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #241 on: October 09, 2019, 06:33:04 PM » Author: Rommie
Still don't get why people want these complicated phones, oh well each to their own.

I hope you don't use it on the street though; not long back when we were in Manchester we saw a couple of guys on a motorcycle with no plates racing up and down a main street, it was obvious that they were on the rob. I see so many people absorbed in their phones while walking it's a wonder they don't end up under a bus  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #242 on: October 09, 2019, 07:09:17 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Sox35, I forget whether you and Ria are in the UK... but I've definitely seen videos of people on scooters in
the UK (in pairs) out to steel. Especially on scooters... I haven't seen motorcycles involved.
We don't have that problem here in the U.S, thankfully... but regardless, if I'm out on the bike, my Iphone would
be heavily secured.
Back on topic, once I do receive my new phone, although I'm young, this does NOT mean I'm gonna become a phone zombie. haha
I just need a new phone to enable me to run high powered apps for other cameras, drone footage, etc, for YouTube content.
The phone I currently have is incapable of doing this.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #243 on: October 09, 2019, 07:14:27 PM » Author: Rommie
@Sox35, I forget whether you and Ria are in the UK... but I've definitely seen videos of people on scooters in
the UK (in pairs) out to steel. Especially on scooters... I haven't seen motorcycles involved.
We don't have that problem here in the U.S, thankfully... but regardless, if I'm out on the bike, my Iphone would
be heavily secured.
Back on topic, once I do receive my new phone, although I'm young, this does NOT mean I'm gonna become a phone zombie. haha
I just need a new phone to enable me to run high powered apps for other cameras, drone footage, etc, for YouTube content.
The phone I currently have is incapable of doing this.

It must be an age thing. I need a phone for making phone calls ;D
Yes we're in the UK (Aberdeen) and although we don't see much theft on the streets here, it does happen. London is the worst place for it, though :-\

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #244 on: October 09, 2019, 07:49:52 PM » Author: Ash
I think i am half your age and i dont use a smart phone. I am not too happy to be available to everyone all the time either, but i still do need the basic level phone availability for some more important things, so i let that pass

Want to talk to me ? Go find me

Want to talk on the phone ? Call. But keep it to the point

Anything else ? I will be on the computer in the evening
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #245 on: October 09, 2019, 07:56:01 PM » Author: Rommie
Ash, I agree with you 100%..!

(Didn't expect me to say that, did you ;D :D :P)

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #246 on: October 09, 2019, 08:26:29 PM » Author: High Intensity
I don't really use my phone for much, i mostly use it for taking photos (of lighting), quickly looking stuff up on the internet, and the occasional phone call or texts. On vacation, i also use it for accessing this forum and posting photos.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #247 on: October 20, 2019, 04:04:17 PM » Author: takemorepills
iPhones: I won't ever buy Apple products after I learned that Steve Jobs thought his customers were idiots and needed to design products accordingly, hence the admittedly smooth, simple use of an iPhone.
Also hate the deletion of connectors, using proprietary charger, etc.

I use a Moto G5 Plus I've had over 2 years now. Think I paid $150 for it on Amazon. Use pre-paid service, about $30/month for data and calls.

I am about to be passed-down my wife's work phone, Samsung S8. I am not sure if I want it, the screen wraps around the sides of the phone and I hate that. And, Samsung mucks up the Android UI so much....but the camera is amazing.

@Sox35, stealing phones in some parts of USA is risky. People will fight back, and you might even get shot. I heard that in UK you are not allowed to protect yourself and knife attacks are the preferred way to hurt people? Most common place here to get a phone stolen is around public transportation, usually 2+ people will mug you. However, we have a high rate of concealed-carry in many cities so it's not always a sure thing that thugs can get away with it.

I will admit, I am a bit apprehensive about new tech. I prefer "old-school" but certainly appreciate my smartphone when we are on a road trip and need to make a change to our itinerary, find a specific place, etc. I draw the line on social media though. Unlike my friends who have social media accounts and use their phone almost exclusively for social media, I have no such accounts. I don't even access forums from my phone.
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #248 on: October 20, 2019, 05:34:38 PM » Author: FGS
iPhones: I won't ever buy Apple products after I learned that Steve Jobs thought his customers were idiots and needed to design products accordingly, hence the admittedly smooth, simple use of an iPhone.
Also hate the deletion of connectors, using proprietary charger, etc.

I think Steve was referring to making iPhones simple to use even idiots can use Apple’s products. I mean why would anyone design a smartphone in order to use it you’d need a degree in programming? You’d get more customers to buy your stuff if you made them easy to learn to use.

Proprietary chargers on iPhones? Surely you jest. Last I checked the little white blocks that plugs on the wall has an USB connector. Lightning cables aren’t exactly that expensive to get from reputable brands anyway.

iPhone 7+ user here. I know quite a few people who had problems with Android devices. My dad had serious overheating problems with his Samsung I forget what model (not the exploding battery ones) which somehow disappeared after an update. No, not a gamer or anything CPU intensive. Just web surfing or reading e-books. Have a friend who was an Android user, he had problems and headaches with his phone until he switched. I once found a obliterated Android on the side of the road which the only surviving part is the tiny SD card. Put that in an adapter and ran a virus scan on it and the scan found viruses in it. Yeah... no thanks. Open source Android OS which you can design malware apps to cause problems or closed source iOS which is much harder to infect with malware. I pick iOS.

Smartphone use while out? Sure you could go dumbphone like the 90s but how are you gonna find a good place to eat in an unknown city? Or if that restaurant you found has good reviews or it’s a roach infested restaurant?

Map app with voice guiding you to your destination or paper map the size of Texas in your face while driving? Standalone GPS devices are annoying to use and set destination. It’s ask Siri “where’s the best Italian restaurant in this town?” And she’d already set the destination on the map app (you pick your favorite map app).

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #249 on: October 20, 2019, 05:44:05 PM » Author: Rommie
Smartphone use while out? Sure you could go dumbphone like the 90s but how are you gonna find a good place to eat in an unknown city? Or if that restaurant you found has good reviews or it’s a roach infested restaurant?
What did people do before smartphones..? I know what I did, and still do. I ask people. When we spent a couple of days in Manchester last year, we decided to go out for a curry. We asked the manager of the hotel where he recommended, and he pointed us to a restaurant 100 yards from the hotel, which was indeed excellent. I never trust online reviews, how do I know they're not faked..? Ok the hotel guy could have given us duff information, but what would be in it for him if we returned after finding out it really was a dump..? We wouldn't stay at his hotel again, that's for certain.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #250 on: October 20, 2019, 06:03:10 PM » Author: Ash
There is such thing as considering your users as idiots, it is entirely different from making things uncomplicated to operate in general. This have been epicly demonstrated in the Gnome desktop on Linux

https://www.raizlabs.com/graiz/2005/12/12/the-linux-attitude/

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #251 on: October 20, 2019, 06:08:28 PM » Author: Rommie
There is such thing as considering your users as idiots, it is entirely different from making things uncomplicated to operate in general. This have been epicly demonstrated in the Gnome desktop on Linux

I use the Cinnamon desktop. Works for me. Never could take to KDE or Gnome.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #252 on: October 20, 2019, 06:38:06 PM » Author: Ash
I am on KDE since 3.1 (late 2003) till 5.16 (nowadays) straight. I have wandered into other desktops but it was just that - wandering

Gnome 2 (the version about which Linus wrote what he wrote) had been installed for years on one of our family computers. It was great for family computer and my impression of it (both as who installed in and as user) was positive - but at the same time not anything that i would install to any of my general use computers - exactly because of it behaving like a sort of Apple OS
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #253 on: October 20, 2019, 07:23:00 PM » Author: Rommie

I just remembered one of my favourite quotes from Linus Torvalds, the inventor of the Linux kernel:  If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #254 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:51 PM » Author: joseph_125
Still been using the same LG G5 that I mentioned quite a few posts back in 2016. The phone for the most part is still fast enough although I did have to change the battery a few times. The generic ones have been kind of lackluster to say the least. The last one I got lasted around 8 months before it swelled and stopped holding a charge below 20%. The GPS is also a bit wonky and is a bit of a PITA when using it for navigation.

Don't have any concrete plans to upgrade to a new phone but will probably upgrade within the next year due to those issues and having a better quality camera will help with some of the night shots I post to here..

I still have an iPad 2 that I got in 2011 that I mainly use as a web browser now. Some more javascript heavy sites will crash it though but it still works great on sites that aren't as JS intensive. Installing a Pi-Hole on my home network and redirecting my iPad to use that for ad blocking helped a lot in keeping the browser usable. Still has a decent amount of battery life left too.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies