Author Topic: what car do you drive?  (Read 37591 times)
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #105 on: March 31, 2020, 10:43:11 AM » Author: mrboojay
Hopefully this doesn’t count as a bump, but it is topic relevant.

I have added another car that I drive.   A 2014 RAM C/V with a 3.6L V6 FWD.  I love this thing, almost 120K on it.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

Daniel f

View Posts
View Gallery

in my house is not used led and if I can avoid it

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #106 on: April 16, 2020, 01:13:25 PM » Author: Daniel f
I have a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta.  Mine is not diesel and has been an awesome car.  I have had it seven years now.  I've had to do some routine maintenance such as new brakes, a new water pump, and a new timing belt.  Few things have gone wrong, most notably my alternator went out last year and a mass airflow sensor had to be fixed a few months ago.  I installed new headlights and Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs last year after the original headlights oxidized.  They are nice and bright and look brand new.

The non diesel Volkswagens are great cars and really reliable when properly maintained.  I have enjoyed my Jetta very much and would recommend a Jetta if you're looking for a small sedan to replace a Corolla.
you're right .  my father bought a gti 115hp golf gas in 1992. and the expenses were very few.  He has 330,000 kilometers and is doing very well :)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #107 on: April 16, 2020, 01:29:35 PM » Author: suzukir122
The Pontiac G6, as much as I don't like that car, has been proven to be reliable too. It's still going. I've had it since
2014, at around 53,000 miles. 6 years later at 129,000 miles, it's still doing pretty good even with that exhaust leak. :'-)

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #108 on: April 16, 2020, 04:19:49 PM » Author: CEB1993
I still have the 2004 VW Jetta. Other than some minor electrical glitches and the hail damage, it’s still going strong. I drive it on the weekends to keep the battery charged. At 168000 miles, it’s still in great shape inside and out. I’ve had it now for 10 years and it’s been a fairly low maintenance car. The biggest glitches were a blown radio fuse and a broken alternator, both about 4 years ago.

No signs of tire rot or rust, so the car is physically aging well.   I might sell it eventually, but I’m not in a big rush to do so right now.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #109 on: April 16, 2020, 06:30:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
@CEB1993, I wouldn't be in a huge rush either to sell it because... well... it's a Jetta. haha... those are nice cars.
My coworker (the one who owns a 90's Mazda Miata) had a random car meet with other sport/super sport car owners
at a Meijer parking lot very close to the apartments I use to live in.

One car was a Jetta. I was gonna tell the story about how I got involved in that meet on the thread "Crazy Coworker Stories," but I can't find
that thread! Anyways, I snapped a picture of that Jetta from behind it, right before the owner revved it and "shot" me. (backfiring)
I'll have to post that picture sometime on this thread, since my car was parked in front of that Jetta, if I remember correctly.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #110 on: April 17, 2020, 02:20:52 AM » Author: takemorepills
I bought a 2020 Corolla Hatchback in bright blue for my wife.
Notable things about the car is it is all LED, can drive itself, gets really good MPGs and only cost $20K brand new.
And it is made in Japan.
I don't drive it much though, it only has 168HP and feels very underpowered to me.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #111 on: April 17, 2020, 04:42:58 AM » Author: suzukir122
Only 168HP? Wow... that's pretty weak. That's about the amount of horses my car has. Much sportier looking though
than the original Corolla. Not a bad looking car. I'm a little surprised with the "drive itself" capability though.
I was thinking only the electric Tesla model cars could drive themselves.

Interests:

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #112 on: April 17, 2020, 10:38:43 AM » Author: takemorepills
Only 168HP? Wow... that's pretty weak. That's about the amount of horses my car has. Much sportier looking though
than the original Corolla. Not a bad looking car. I'm a little surprised with the "drive itself" capability though.
I was thinking only the electric Tesla model cars could drive themselves.
To be fair, every car we looked at for my wife was equally weak. None felt as good as my 2016 GTI or my Q60, or even my Nissan Titan.

Even the Turbo Civic felt slow to me.

However, for 25+ years the Corolla was basically only available with a weaker 1.8 motor (with a few sporadic upgrade engines) and only as a 4 door.
We were really impressed by the apparent quality of the car, it really feels like a $35K+ car overall. This car does have the upgraded 2.0 motor and a 2-speed CVT, it has an actual physical 1st gear which shifts into CVT helping to improve take-off compared to other CVT vehicles.

As for "self driving" it is nearly as good as my friend's Tesla Model3, however the Model3 can be software-upgraded to drive itself from the GPS system. This Corolla can't go to a programmed destination (technically not supposed to do that with the Tesla either, but they are capable) but if you set a max speed and the road is in acceptable condition, it will follow the road 100% hands-off, even very curvy roads, it will adjust to traffic, it can come to a complete stop and take off again. It can even read the speed limit signs.

2 things it can't do are react to traffic signals and turn into driveways or very sharp corners. Really amazing for a $20K car. It even has Android Auto, CarPlay, remote start, blind spot monitoring, super cush interior and so far excellent MPGs. We will take it on a road trip some day, I'm thinking mid 40MPGs are easy for this car.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #113 on: April 17, 2020, 07:19:18 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Takemorepills, that is awesome stuff for a $20,000 dollar car. I would expect those features from a $40,000 car
or above. For what you got, $20,000 is definitely a low price. Congrats on purchasing it.

I'm making plans on eventually getting a better car soon. My car has... run its course. Much like how my laptop
has also run its course. Both of which I've had for a long time.
Now... what will I get? I still don't know. It unfortunately can't be a manual shift car though.

Interests:

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #114 on: April 17, 2020, 08:10:05 PM » Author: takemorepills
@Takemorepills, that is awesome stuff for a $20,000 dollar car. I would expect those features from a $40,000 car
or above. For what you got, $20,000 is definitely a low price. Congrats on purchasing it.

I'm making plans on eventually getting a better car soon. My car has... run its course. Much like how my laptop
has also run its course. Both of which I've had for a long time.
Now... what will I get? I still don't know. It unfortunately can't be a manual shift car though.

Speaking of laptops, my wife's laptop and mine are approaching a decade old! How about yours?
To keep them running well they were converted to Linux a few years back. So far, so good.

I'm not a fan of "new" cars, for many reasons. But, my wife's Subaru was giving us a bunch of problems so I bought her a new car. Toyota Corolla, 3K miles a year should last 20 years, right?
I have a 14 year old truck that I love more than the day I bought it. I can't imagine what I could buy that could take it's place, it ain't dead yet, fortunately.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #115 on: April 17, 2020, 11:24:04 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Takemorepills, I do like some of the new cars though, to a certain extent. As long as it's not Tesla. Not
a fan of Tesla, much like I'm not a fan of LED's.
My laptop is a "Lenovo 100 Ideapad..." or is it "Lenovo Ideapad 100?" I don't know but all I know is that it's
been doing great so far in terms of operation. I've had it since I think November of 2015.
But yeah back to cars... my car currently has an exhaust leak. It's pretty loud underneath the car, and it *seems*
like it's starting to get louder. My car is possibly misfiring as well, at times, at idle. No check engine light
though and that is what confuses me. It's been a while since I've had a check engine light, besides when I was
missing my gas cap a couple months ago. I have that one on video.

Interests:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #116 on: May 27, 2020, 02:10:47 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Im a couple of years from getting my listenese, but i want to buy a cheap 60s-early 70s plymouth or dodge (I am a big mopar guy) b or c body platform (preferably a 4 doors a they are more clean from people taking all of the 2 doors and goofing them + cheaper insurance for a 4 door as they are "less sporty" in the eyes of an insurance agent but still can take the parts from a 2 door to go fast) m a I  would be open to getting a crown vic, any 70s luxury car, or a honda civic (big honda fan as well because they are very reliable and my parent own a 13' odyssey and a 15' accord and i love them both).

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #117 on: May 27, 2020, 02:38:25 PM » Author: takemorepills
Im a couple of years from getting my listenese, but i want to buy a cheap 60s-early 70s plymouth or dodge (I am a big mopar guy) b or c body platform (preferably a 4 doors a they are more clean from people taking all of the 2 doors and goofing them + cheaper insurance for a 4 door as they are "less sporty" in the eyes of an insurance agent but still can take the parts from a 2 door to go fast) m a I  would be open to getting a crown vic, any 70s luxury car, or a honda civic (big honda fan as well because they are very reliable and my parent own a 13' odyssey and a 15' accord and i love them both).

If possible, keep your eye out for some of these cars (60's cars) coming to market for more "reasonable" prices. The last decade cars like this have been way overpriced IMO. There's a few people who hoard most of these cars, keep a yard full of them and don't sell them (don't do anything with them, in fact) causing the few that are available to be way too expensive.

I've been looking for an early 60's 2 door car myself, not too picky. Something like a Galaxie 500 Starliner would be awesome. I want a car that screams "atomic era".

Anyways, as the economy depresses, hopefully these cars will end up being sold off for reasonable prices as a discretionary way for people to free up their money.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #118 on: May 27, 2020, 10:24:26 PM » Author: Bulbman256
If possible, keep your eye out for some of these cars (60's cars) coming to market for more "reasonable" prices. The last decade cars like this have been way overpriced IMO. There's a few people who hoard most of these cars, keep a yard full of them and don't sell them (don't do anything with them, in fact) causing the few that are available to be way too expensive.

I've been looking for an early 60's 2 door car myself, not too picky. Something like a Galaxie 500 Starliner would be awesome. I want a car that screams "atomic era".

Anyways, as the economy depresses, hopefully these cars will end up being sold off for reasonable prices as a discretionary way for people to free up their money.

Yeah, in a few weeks im heading midwest so car will be cheaper (no bloated dmv area prices) when i get my licence in 2022 but mopar dudes a weird where if a car has soem sort of slightly oddball detail the price will double due to its "rareness" but a 4 door will be cheaper as they aren't really accepted because people love 2 doors. Im not sure how much car cash i will have when im 16, so that may be a factor and i may just get a civic for cheaper. But at some point in my life i do want to own one. I did see a 1963 dodge dart 4 door green 225 slant 6 automatic going for 1,100 dollars at my local army storage/self-sell car lot a few month back but now its gone. Might buy a corvair as that would be a little out there and i would mod the rear suspension to something more stable. Also might get a pontiac 8 (clone holden commodore with both having a lot of power) or get a grand am like my dad had. (my mom had a neon and she says there  :curse: )

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #119 on: June 11, 2020, 07:54:41 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hopefully this doesn’t count as a bump, but it is topic relevant.

I have added another car that I drive.   A 2014 RAM C/V with a 3.6L V6 FWD.  I love this thing, almost 120K on it.

I'm pretty sure that Ram just got a Dodge caravan and took out the rear seats and windows to be a cargo can (Ram and Dodge are both owned my Fca) Similarly with the mini clubvan just being a rear seat and rear window delete car but the same body. I think a lot of companies did this to make a sort of small ish van that isn't a passenger minivan but the size of one. One more example is The chevy ssr cargo van is just like the other ones too.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies