Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 249653 times)
BGPATTERSON403

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1365 on: May 05, 2023, 10:32:01 PM » Author: BGPATTERSON403
I found a 2x 8 foot slimline lamp ceiling light in a house that was gonna be demolished.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1366 on: May 19, 2023, 04:49:38 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Changed out over 180 5-10+ year old Sylvania F32T8 4100K lamps for 3500K T8.  Replaced 8 bad Advance 4 tube ballasts as well.  (about 20-25 years old)  Most were already changed out previously, these lasted this long which is surprising.  Used new OSRAM 4 lamp T8 ballasts.  Looks beautiful with the 3500K in this particular chapel. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1367 on: May 20, 2023, 10:14:47 PM » Author: Lcubed3
How long do magnetic ballasts usually last?

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1368 on: May 21, 2023, 02:04:49 AM » Author: RRK
Can not be answered right away. Magnetic components have no obvious failure modes and can last 100+ years. Very much depends on how many 'cost optimizations' were applied :). Modern cheap ones with winding temperatures reaching above 100C may burn out in less than a year. Also today's dry film polypropylene capacitors ultimately lose their capacitance over time because of the phenomenon called by buzzwords 'partial discharge' and by aluminum oxidation.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1369 on: May 21, 2023, 05:27:14 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Daily use for 8+ hours a day, I've seen them last 20-30 years.  And I've seen them last less than 10. 

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1370 on: May 21, 2023, 08:21:35 AM » Author: Medved
What I have observed so far, magnetic components really very rarely fail on their own. But practically always they stop working because they were literarly murdered. Most often by humidity and consequent corrosion (the corroding iron expands, causing winding strain, damaging both wire, but as well the magnetic steel plate surface insulation and consequent overheating), by wiring not be properly secured to tearing the connectors apart, very often by the applicationtorturing them by inadequate cooling (I'm not talking about operating a modern 150degC rated ballast at 100degC, but a 175degC rated one at 200degC and above once the fixture gets closed, because some moron in the fixture design was satisfied with a fixture design where the ballast was reaching 174degC with the cover still open).

Capacitors are, however, way different story. There the elimination of the PCB oils did cause the wear out to be the dominant factor, there is just nothing to really completely replace their chemical stability (well, that also is what makes them so problematic in their disposal).
Either by the PCB-free oils degrading, or later the dry film not offering the recovery characteristics the high temperature stable oil dielectric does.

No more selfballasted c***

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1371 on: May 21, 2023, 11:27:17 AM » Author: RRK
Practical examples of magnetic ballasts dying prematurely without much abuse:

Cheapo 600mm 4x18W modular ceiling luminaires at my old workplace. Of course stuffed with smallest and the shittiest possible Chinese ballasts. EEI=B2 and this probably is still a fake index. Not a thermally challenging luminaire, not much power and quite large internal volume. At lamp EOL and stuck starters many of them got yellowed and become dead short and burned out. In my youth I have seen many old-school magnetic preheat ballasts, none of them suffered when they encountered lamp EOL.

Also, for some reason, a couple of 'sausage' 11W PL-L ballasts of mine developed short windings and excessive lamp current after may be ~ten years of use. Again not thermally challenged, first one of them might get hit by a lightning spike on a rural power network, though.

Regarding capacitors, back in the Soviet time paper / metal film capacitors were in use. They were made in hermetically soldered metal cases with glass insulators and could be regarded as very reliable. The filler was a simple benign hydrocarbon wax, based on the smell. They were large, for sure. PCB capacitors appeared briefly probably in mid-1970s and I remember that chemical naphtalene-like aromatic smell. This oil was called 'sovol'. Sovol capacitors were may be 2-3 times smaller by volume, probably as a result of high dielectric constant of PCB oil. At that time we did not know the stuff is so nasty.  Still, not very much risk from a brief contact with guts of a single capacitor if you don't eat them :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:24:29 PM by RRK » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1372 on: May 22, 2023, 02:59:41 PM » Author: Rommie
Ballasts for remote-geared lanterns here in the UK have been known to last 50+ years..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1373 on: May 26, 2023, 08:02:23 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Replaced about 20 F32 T8s Sylvania 2014 vintage 3000K Warm White replaced with 2018 vintage new Sylvania F32T8 3500K 28W.  They look goooooooood.   Got hundreds more of these I'll be relamping in the coming months Only problem at this building whomever put in the ballasts, did not wire them up correctly. Programmed start but wired them as instant start. 

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1374 on: May 26, 2023, 08:21:09 PM » Author: Lcubed3
Looked at the Lighting gallery, then looked at the Oregon fluorescent lamp ban laws. Turns out they're more lenient than I thought.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1375 on: May 31, 2023, 12:10:01 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Visited 8 restores in one day and got some good stuff. Also planned out another lighting thing that should happen this thursday, i shall not say what it is. :mrg:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1376 on: June 02, 2023, 02:15:52 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Met up with Lumex 120 in Des Moines Iowa and traded a few things as well as visiting a couple restores. Had a great time, thanks Sam! 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1377 on: June 03, 2023, 03:48:28 AM » Author: 108CAM
Took yet another break due to mental health but am ever so slowly bouncing back.
I recently found a Sylvania RoadLED which survived a knockdown in near mint condition. I've also cleaned and reassembled a bunch of fixtures in preparation for long term storage.
The next thing is probably going to be the B2224's on the back deck. Hopefully my mental health will allow me to do so. 

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1378 on: June 09, 2023, 05:42:03 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Took delivery of another Chalwyn oily lamp, this time an EFAR 609, which I think was a version of the Far East that was marketed in India.  :wndr:
I do know that I've seen a lot of them coming from sellers located in India.  :oil-ltn:  :love:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1379 on: July 05, 2023, 09:45:20 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Another oily lamp related post:
I've had a replacement burner for the Lynx lantern delivered today because it wasn't winding properly and that has now been fitted.  8) :oil-ltn:
It's a slightly different design though, and I was worried it wouldn't fit.  :wndr:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 09:49:15 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies