Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 50373 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #165 on: May 06, 2021, 03:09:37 PM » Author: Econolite03
What’s really kinda sad is there were old pictures of lights in my area, such as SOX post tops, that are now gone forever. One of the reasons I joined L-G was because I couldn’t join GoL for months.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #166 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:54 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Econolite03
What’s really kinda sad is there were old pictures of lights in my area, such as SOX post tops, that are now gone forever. One of the reasons I joined L-G was because I couldn’t join GoL for months.
Yep sad to see it go...there were tons of nice streetlight photos in general on that site. Allot of uncommon ones you just don't see around too :(

---
Had a collection of a few hundred streetlight pic's on there myself. No plans to re-build by gallery elsewhere.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #167 on: May 06, 2021, 09:18:07 PM » Author: Patrick
Their Coppermine and PHP versions are incompatible.  I sent Ian a PM some time ago inquiring about his future plans for GoL.  He's logged on since I sent it, but he never replied, so I have no idea if he intends to keep it online.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #168 on: May 06, 2021, 11:08:48 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe the gallery files are all still intact (you can see them if you Google search using [search term] site:galleryoflights.org ) and I've kept a copy of all the pictures I personally uploaded there but will have to retype the descriptions. Given time, I can probably rebuild it on here but having the original descriptions would be nice, I can retype most of them but some of the pictures are 10+ years old.

The site appears to have it's domain name renewed recently so I guess Ian still intends to keep it running (or he has it on autorenew).

I'd attempt to fix the gallery problem myself but I don't have access to the host, nor am I familiar enough with Coppermine and PHP to know what exactly is the issue with the gallery. The site was having some issues beforehand with the file-count limit being exceeded but I don't think that's the issue now. 
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #169 on: May 07, 2021, 12:16:12 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: joseph_125
The site was having some issues beforehand
Yep.. I'd started backing up some of the descriptions & comments on my gallery there because of that(a very slow process)... I got through something around 400 images but still had some(not a whole lot though) left to do.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #170 on: May 07, 2021, 01:12:23 AM » Author: joseph_125
I looked into a batch download but I believe a Coppermine export requires some fairly involved messing around with the site.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #171 on: May 07, 2021, 07:29:53 AM » Author: rjluna2
I was in processing transferring pictures with no comments to here when it went down.  I have some old pictures already stored in the xD media and lights folders.  But, reprocessing these picture needs to pull out my collection is really pain in the butt.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #172 on: May 20, 2021, 10:39:48 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I was more interested in saving the info/comments/etc than anything else (I really shoulda taken more time away from the other 'internet stuff' I do, and put primary focus on getting stuff saved off GOL)

I don't know why I'm bothering now that the site is down, but I've still continued to take the occasional streetlight pic...
(personal collection I guess?)

Oh and I did send an eMail to one of LilCinnamon's addresses. Lets see if I hear anything back? Maybe he's just really busy with other stuff in life & just not into lights anymore.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #173 on: May 21, 2021, 07:30:48 AM » Author: rjluna2
That is really sad that no one will able continue to support Gallery of Light :(

I like the Gallery of Lights site since it is more liberal than Lighting-Gallery site :-[ :slap:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #174 on: May 21, 2021, 07:35:43 AM » Author: Lumex120
I liked GOL because it mostly consisted of North American stuff and was more focused on streetlighting which is my big interest. I also had some stuff uploaded there that I don't have on here, I'd like to be able to at least get those pics back at some point.

I like the Gallery of Lights site since it is more liberal than Lighting-Gallery site :-[ :slap:
Politically?

Unofficial LG Discord

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #175 on: May 21, 2021, 09:23:39 AM » Author: rjluna2
Politically?
Yes, I have been posting movies and TV shows with lighting related grab to the GOL as open end where the LG is restricted to Off-Topic group.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #176 on: May 21, 2021, 09:45:53 AM » Author: Rommie
I wasn't going to say anything here, but I feel I have to now the word "politics" has come up.

Robert, the request that you upload screen grabs to off-topic is nothing to do with politics. It's basically that in many (admittedly not all) cases, the lighting is not the main focus of the picture. A picture where the lamp or fixture is central to the shot is one thing, but a lamp on a wall or table in the background is not. Also, they are not your own images, and the main focus of the gallery is to display your own photos, not screen grabs from a TV show.

There is a very simple reason that we don't allow political discussion on the site; when it rears its head, things inevitably become heated, and it is how flame wars start. There have been far too many instances of them in the past, and I'm sure that none of us want to see any more. Please, for everyone's sake, let's not allow this topic to get out of hand, ok..?

Keep calm and light lamps  :-*  :love:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:08:21 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #177 on: May 21, 2021, 09:49:29 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I spoke to Ian a few months ago, and it's mostly a maintenance thing. I could ask him more details about the whole situation if some of you guys are concerned about the future of the website. But I didn't feel he had the intention of putting it to an end. And I'm sure the pictures won't just be brutally deleted.

If I recall I was one of the admins there  :wndr: But my webmastering is super crusty so I'm not sure it'd be wise of me to go ahead and try to troubleshoot things, at least not without a serious revision  :mrg:

[...]

I'd attempt to fix the gallery problem myself but I don't have access to the host, nor am I familiar enough with Coppermine and PHP to know what exactly is the issue with the gallery. The site was having some issues beforehand with the file-count limit being exceeded but I don't think that's the issue now. 

I faintly remember back in the day when we set things up I was able to fix some problems through FTP access, but I don't even remember how I logged in. Something else I'd need to ask Ian about!

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #178 on: May 22, 2021, 07:25:01 AM » Author: rjluna2
I wish you good luck, Vince :)

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #179 on: May 30, 2021, 03:42:58 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I sent an email to each of the 2 addresses (a couple days apart) I had for LilCinnamon, and never saw a reply.
Hopefully Foxtronix will have better luck!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies