Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190057 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #120 on: May 31, 2019, 08:55:28 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Cole D... Hurricane Irma... wasn't that a Category 5 hurricane? You legit slept through a Category 5 hurricane lol...
my guess is that you probably weren't on the strongest side of the storm because if you were, you more than likely could've died
in that storm.

@Xmaslightguy, yeah that Supercell probably looked amazing during the night and I'm kinda mad at myself for not going outside
to take a peak at it for real, but I wasn't really confident in terms of where that storm was headed, and how fast
it was moving. But that storm was definitely electrified, and the thunder almost sounded like an earthquake. That's
how continuous it was. I wish I got to see that base cloud... chances are, I missed out on that classic Supercell UFO
shaped base cloud... but then again, the storm never made it to my area, so I don't know.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 08:57:05 AM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #121 on: May 31, 2019, 10:18:56 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzuki122:
I woulda deff gone & gotten a look at that thing & tried to get pic's/video too!

Yep.. some of those storms really take on a cool Mothership-UFO shape. Best viewed from some distance away so you can see more of the structure.
Day gives the best view ofcourse, but I bet it'd look freekin awesome at night with all the lightning inside.

--------------
Category 5 Hurricane
Another thing I'd like to see/experiance in person...and particurly both the eyewall & inside the eye!

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #122 on: May 31, 2019, 09:51:58 PM » Author: Cole D.
@Cole D... Hurricane Irma... wasn't that a Category 5 hurricane? You legit slept through a Category 5 hurricane lol...
my guess is that you probably weren't on the strongest side of the storm because if you were, you more than likely could've died
in that storm.

Hurricane Irma were a category 5 when out in ocean and crossing Cuba, but when it made landfall to the US mainland, it became a 4 and thankfully, it was a category 2 to 1 when it got here. But still bad enough.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #123 on: May 31, 2019, 11:49:35 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Cole D, ahh ok lol a Category 2 isn't the most horrible, but still definitely dangerous. (Winds around 96-110mph) That is
definitely enough wind speed to do damage for sure, as well as possibly resulting in fatalities.
I really do wish I could see a hurricane someday though. Especially the beginning of a hurricane... I've always wondered
what their storm base clouds look like before everything starts.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #124 on: June 01, 2019, 12:50:35 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Yeah, it would be interesting to see the beginning of one...right from initiation.
I would imagine it looks allot like a basic thunderstorm does in the beginning stages.

A time-lapse from that beginning speck, to a major hurricane would be cool to see. (might have to go look on YouTube for that) 

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #125 on: June 01, 2019, 06:40:48 AM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, That's a good idea... Might even see devastation time lapses as well!
Great suggestion... I'm gonna search that and see what I find

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #126 on: June 02, 2019, 07:33:10 PM » Author: CEB1993
Now that it's officially hurricane season, I am on the lookout.  Last September, hurricane Florence made a destructive landfall as a category 1 storm in Wilmington, NC.  The worst part of this storm was the torrential rain, up to 35 inches in one day on the south coast of NC.  The flooding was horrific in both SC and NC, with nearby rivers being above flood stage for more than a week after the storm passed through. 

Thankfully, my family was all okay inland in both SC and NC.  I was in New York at the time, and the projection for Florence below was released close to my birthday on September 6.  I was so worried and thought how this could be a repeat of hurricane Hugo that hit Charleston, SC in 1989, a few years before I was born.  Hugo made landfall in SC as a powerful category 4 storm and brought near hurricane conditions to my hometown in Greenville, SC.  Hugo was the strongest hurricane to ever make landfall in SC, with devastating flooding, widespread destruction to infrastructure and beaches. 

Below is the projected path of hurricane Florence about a week before landfall on September 14, and a famous painting of Rainbow Row in Charleston, SC during hurricane Hugo.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #127 on: June 03, 2019, 09:33:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, That's a good idea... Might even see devastation time lapses as well!
Great suggestion... I'm gonna search that and see what I find
I went & searched it myself...and no luck
There were some satellite timelapses, but that's not what I was looking for .lol.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #128 on: June 03, 2019, 11:39:30 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yesterday, we had a thunderstorm in the afternoon, and I was in the house and didn't even see it coming. Usually I see the clouds well before it gets here. I heard noises like wind, and looked out the window and it was a bit cloudy but no rain. But looking out in the back yard, it was much windier and then when it started to rain, it seemed heavier back there than in front.

We got a good pouring rain, which we needed. And then it rained a little more later. There was not much if any lightning in this storm, just rain and really windy. I thought my anemometer for my weather station was going to blow off it was spinning so fast.

The water has been much shallower lately due to the lack of rain. Usually when I go rowing, I can push my boat right in and it floats, but Saturday it got stuck in sand, so I had to get on first and then push with oars until it got in deep enough water.

Tonight I noticed lightning flashes but it was far away to hear thunder. It's still very hot here in 90s each day.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #129 on: June 04, 2019, 07:09:50 AM » Author: merc
A 2018 scientific paper "Deep Adaptation" by environmentalist Professor Jem Bendell BA (Hons) PhD.

It's almost 30 pages (+ references) but worth reading.

TL;DR: Due to climatic changes, social collapse is inevitable within the next 10 years, the catastrophe is probable and extinction possible (while not probable).
We can't stop it. We need to prepare for that and completely change our societies and ways of living to survive.
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #130 on: June 04, 2019, 06:24:36 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Well, a Flash Flood watch is issued in my area. And a significant flooding threat is expected in Southeast Texas. Why? Due to a tropical disturbance formed out at the gulf. Its expected to start tonight, to Thursday.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #131 on: June 07, 2019, 08:59:18 PM » Author: CEB1993
Well, a Flash Flood watch is issued in my area. And a significant flooding threat is expected in Southeast Texas. Why? Due to a tropical disturbance formed out at the gulf. Its expected to start tonight, to Thursday.

Oh no, I hope y’all stay safe, lightinglover8902!  Watch out for flooded roads.

Here in South Carolina, we had a heat wave and mild drought conditions for the past two weeks. Now, we’re seeing torrential downpours and flash flood warnings. Our weather turned in a dime!  Rain and thunderstorms till next Tuesday, not fun though we do need it.  The dry, hard ground here after the prolonged dry spell doesn’t absorb water, thus increasing the risk of flash flooding  :o

Check out the weather forecast and the radar from this evening. We’re having a gullywasher come through in northwest SC with tons of lightning right over my house and heavy downpours. Thankfully no hail!  I always enjoy a nice summer thunderstorm!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:05:21 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #132 on: June 25, 2019, 10:20:14 PM » Author: Cole D.
After a week of rain nearly every day it been dry this week. Though this evening I noticed gray clouds and thunder but we had no rain. Then about 9:30 I could see lightning flashes from far away and it got louder and then started raining. It's raining hard right now and loud. There's still some thunder in it too. A loud blowing rain, I was surprised we got this.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #133 on: June 26, 2019, 12:39:21 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Just remember:
Rain is a good thing. The heavier the better.
Thunderstorms are awesomeness.
Thunderclouds are beautiful. So is Lightning.
Tornadoes are...well I'm gonna have to wait till I can hunt one down before I can find a word for it.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #134 on: June 26, 2019, 02:22:08 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Just remember:
Rain is a good thing. The heavier the better.
Thunderstorms are awesomeness.
Thunderclouds are beautiful. So is Lightning.
Tornadoes are...well I'm gonna have to wait till I can hunt one down before I can find a word for it.
Just go to Tornado Alley so see one! ;)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies