Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190096 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #165 on: July 19, 2019, 01:41:01 PM » Author: 589
Lighting hit the power pole in front of my house two weeks ago while I was on the can... twice, boy that was exciting. I had to replace the mainboard on my tv because a Chinese power relay flashed over and fried the tv through the USB port it was attached to. Apparently one of the outdoor elsewhere in the house GFCI's got blasted too, gotta fix that soon. My neighbor's internet line got toasted as well.

:lps:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #166 on: July 22, 2019, 12:22:20 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
It was in the upper 90's here both Thu & Fri, plus 9% humidity on Fri...so pretty desert-like .lol. I think down in the city (Denver), it got to 100, & 101 those days.

We had a nice little thunderstorm (not severe) come through my area tonight, had pretty frequent lightning, but looked like most of it stayed in the clouds. Still cool to watch.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #167 on: July 22, 2019, 06:03:18 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
A rare July cold front is coming my way! And the mornings are gonna be in the 60s!

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #168 on: July 22, 2019, 03:38:59 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Heard some thunder (only two times) and it started drizzling pretty fast but then it stopped as soon as it started. The temperature was 84 degrees and humidity was 38%. Probably the only severe weather (and probably rain) I will face in the summer lol.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #169 on: July 22, 2019, 07:36:17 PM » Author: Cole D.
Saturday night we got a storm. About 9PM it started thundering after dinner, but far away, so I went out on the back porch to have a look. Just some lightning in distance and a very slight sprinking of rain. I stayed about there about 10 minutes, then suddenly the flashes got much closer. It lit up the whole area like daylight and very loud thunder started, so I went back inside, too dangerous. A few minutes later it started pouring down rain with more flashes - could see them in the house with blinds closed. But it only lasted about 20 minutes and then it was gone.

Today it rained this evening quite a bit but not a lot of thunder in it.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #170 on: July 22, 2019, 09:16:03 PM » Author: mefurd98
We've had a few severe thunderstorm warnings around here for the past few days. Typical summertime pattern with these isolated cells going severe for about 30 minutes or so. Lightning struck right around the house the other day and I was worried that it ran into one of my lights outside, but it didn't. There is a front coming in this week that is supposed to cool things off a bit and give us a decent amount of rainfall.
paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #171 on: July 22, 2019, 10:43:55 PM » Author: paintballer22
I just had a severe thunderstorm roll threw a few minutes ago. We had a tornado warning as well. There was lightning all over the place. The lights flickered a lot but never went out. I will have to check the paintball field for damage as it's in a area known direct lightning strikes.   
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #172 on: July 28, 2019, 01:12:50 PM » Author: Cole D.
Last night was going for walk, in evening. There were some dark clouds forming, but no thunder. But when I was further away, suddenly the thunder started cracking, so I turned around and got home quickly. It started popping more frequently, but no rain until later on. Not a very long rain, but steady.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #173 on: August 12, 2019, 12:30:11 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Where I'm at, we only got a little bit of rain, but the eastern part of the state had lots of thunderstorms/heavy rain/hail...multiple storms got severe-warned, and even some tornado-warned. 

Would have loved to have gotten a good rain/thunder storm...the hail can stay away though .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #174 on: August 13, 2019, 05:33:57 PM » Author: CEB1993
Last weekend in east Tennessee, we had three 90 degree days with nearly 100 degree heat indexes.  It was brutal to be walking around amusement parks and towns in that kind of heat.  I drank a lot of fluids and wore a hat to protect myself from sunburn.  My hottest trip to Gatlinburg ever!  Other than the intense heat, I had a good time  8)

Back home in SC today, we hit nearly 100 degrees with an even hotter heat index.  The extreme humidity is fueling some isolated severe thunderstorms this afternoon. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #175 on: August 13, 2019, 08:01:39 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Nothing where I'm at...but on the eastern edge of CO today, there were multiple severe-warned storms, and some tornado-warned storms too. I know atleast one of them dropped a tornado.
(I shoulda grabbed a radar screenshot when the storms/warnings were up)

Those storms then moved off into Nebraska & Kansas, where they continue to run.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #176 on: August 13, 2019, 09:30:08 PM » Author: Cole D.
It's been mostly getting to the high 80s here, not high 90s like it was a few weeks ago. But with the humidity it still gets quite hot. Most days it has been raining, but nothing particularly heavy like we were having last month. It's been raining earlier too, such as around noon or sometimes in morning, rather than waiting until late afternoon. Probably why we haven't had as many severe storms or lightning. Either Saturday or Sunday we did get get a storm with some loud thunder for a bit.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #177 on: August 14, 2019, 07:50:15 AM » Author: suzukir122
A couple nights ago we got a strong thunderstorm that did not get strong enough to prompt a warning. (Wasn't severe) It was
during a night that I called off from work due to very serious depression I've been facing. Very late at night though, around 4am.
This storm was strong, with almost severe criteria kind of lightning, but not quite. Lots of close strikes though so
very loud thunder, and very heavy rain. My enjoyment was interrupted by a bad stomach ache, followed by vomiting.
I'm guessing the bad food that I ate earlier the previous day finally caught up to me at that point. Anyways, I didn't get to watch
the rest of the storm thanks to that, but what I saw was still entertaining.
My little bro, (YouTube/RT Spacer) was also up, and he even sent a text about how the storm woke him up and that
it seemed serious. haha

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #178 on: August 14, 2019, 07:27:04 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yesterday evening I had a small thundershower pass over where I live. Not severe, but after it passed I went out & got a good look at the cloud at sunset. That one was a really cool looking storm!

The round of afternoon large severe/tornadic storms out east I mentioned a few posts back created what's called an 'outflow boundary'
which in this case headed west, towards the mountains...later at night - after 9pm, got there and fired off another round of storms, one of which got severe-warned. Even the non-severe ones had pretty active lightning :) I sat & watched for a bit, I tried videoing one of them...not sure how/if it turned out.

edit#1:
Looking at the radar: there is now a couple storms at the eastern edge of CO that have gone severe-warned.

edit#2:
And one of those got tornado-warned.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:03:45 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #179 on: August 17, 2019, 12:04:37 AM » Author: Cole D.
It have been very wet here. We have had flood watches along all river areas due to the excessive rain has brought the rivers above flood stage in many areas.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies