Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190081 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #300 on: January 10, 2020, 10:15:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@lightinglover8902:
Deff interested in seeing it :)

@GE101R:
That'd probably make for a cool 'show' to watch!
Bring video camera & record as well.

---------------------
There's now been reports of tornadoes in AR & TX

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #301 on: January 10, 2020, 10:50:59 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
@lightinglover8902:
Deff interested in seeing it :)

Here's the detector. :) Its very complex as you can see. One circuit runs on 5V via voltage regulator, and two circuits run 9V.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #302 on: January 11, 2020, 11:08:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
Sloppy line of *possible* thunderstorms is about to hit Dayton Ohio. Not organized whatsoever, and definitely
not severe. Who knows. That can sometimes change in a matter of minutes.
It's definitely warm out there for this time of year.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #303 on: January 11, 2020, 11:13:53 AM » Author: suzukir122
@GE101R... Oh snap... transformer explosion??
Yeah I'd be going back inside instantly after that as well.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #304 on: January 11, 2020, 11:38:58 AM » Author: suzukir122
Knowing me, I'd probably run back inside for a second, and then run back outside for more.
Either that or I'd go inside and watch through the window. But regardless, I'd be completely disregarding safety.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #305 on: January 11, 2020, 11:54:58 AM » Author: suzukir122
@GE101R, yes I did... lol I think I may have seen YouTube videos showing what you described as well.
Maybe. But in my case, I may have seen strikes in those videos, that did harm instead of good. (Lightning strikes substation,
green and orange flashes illuminate the sky from below) lol

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #306 on: January 11, 2020, 12:06:29 PM » Author: suzukir122
@GE101R, ohhh... haha... I've always thought the green/blue/orange arcs from the substations was a bad thing,
indicating damage to the station and possible fire/power outages lol
Regardless, me being the pyromaniac/electrical arc enthusiast, I would definitely want to see this take place as well. haha...
even if I were disregarding safety.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #307 on: January 11, 2020, 08:43:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: lightinglover8902
Here's the detector. :)
Lots of wires there.. but doesn't look like its too difficult.

Quote from: GE101R
We had a severe line come through a few minutes ago with a tornado just to the South. Went outside to check things and a flash reminiscent of a far away atomic blast lit the entire sky and a quick following boom. Needless to say, I went back inside.
If it was me in that situation, I'd have been very tempted to go after that 'nado .lol.
Its possible the lightning was a positive strike. Was it brighter & louder than normal (plus just a single boom rather than rumbling)?
No matter what, I wouldn't be hiding from the storm or anything, & my videocamera would be out...

Quote from: GE101R
Did you see my post the other day about power substations
Sounds so  cool, would love to watch it. I know where the nearest smaller substation  is, but don't know where the nearest larger one is.
I'm gonna have to drive by the one & see if there's a spot to park/watch (there's a business across the street, but I don't believe the parkinglot extends far enough to see the substation..)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #308 on: January 11, 2020, 11:47:09 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Lots of wires there.. but doesn't look like its too difficult.

Its in three circuits. Heres the circuits that I used in the links:

The lightning detector (the main part of the detector): http://www.techlib.com/electronics/lightning.html

The counter with reset button (in this case its a two digit counter, but I added two more of the digits (hundred and thousand digits) and the CD4026 common cathode LED seven segment display driver ICs in the same manner): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEOVTIqfhxU

The LED bar graph (used as a intensity meter, which in this case I used four LEDs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYucJgqQYuA  

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #309 on: January 12, 2020, 12:12:04 AM » Author: suzukir122
An embedded tornado within a line of severe thunderstorms, has killed 7 in Alabama.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #310 on: January 12, 2020, 12:57:38 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@lightinglover8902:
I'll have to check out those links later :)

@suzukir122:
Probably the one I just watched YouTube vid of. Some pretty bad damage there.
Multiple tornadoes reported in different states today, even as far north as Ohio.

--
edit:
New tornado warning just posted in NC too..
edit: edit:
make that 3 tornado warnings
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:22:13 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #311 on: January 12, 2020, 04:28:34 AM » Author: suzukir122
No tornado warnings here in Dayton Ohio, but according to my lil bro, (RT Spacer on YouTube)
he got ROCKED. Heavy rain and high winds. (50mph winds) Wasn't quite bad enough to be a thunderstorm though. No lightning.
It wasn't a severe thunderstorm... however if it was, I imagine those winds would've been much worse.(60mph or higher)
I'm guessing other places in Ohio actually did get severe storms though.

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #312 on: January 12, 2020, 05:55:17 AM » Author: CEB1993
An embedded tornado within a line of severe thunderstorms, has killed 7 in Alabama.

Oh no! I saw that Tuscaloosa had a tornado producing super cell approaching yesterday. One of my friends has family in Alabama so I always worry when I hear about tornados there.

I’m pretty sure the same big system brought me a microburst yesterday evening. I work in a hardware store with a metal roof and we got slammed!  It sounded like the “whoosh” inside an airplane and I could see the rain coming down SIDEWAYS! We were under a tornado watch and there was a moment when I thought this was going to be the first tornado I’ve seen in person  :o. No confirmed tornado yet, though I’ll be watching the news to see how bad it actually was last night.

We had gusts up to 60 mph and parts of town were without power when I drove home. The most intense storm upstate South Carolina has had in a long time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:59:44 AM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #313 on: January 12, 2020, 06:05:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
I kinda figured this would happen @CEB1993. Warm weather + winter, typically = dangerous spring like thunderstorms

Interests:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #314 on: January 12, 2020, 07:36:57 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Hope everyone is ok over there, and taking the warnings seriously.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies