Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 195032 times)
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #360 on: January 23, 2020, 05:51:45 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I just don't like winter. If I had the money, I'd travel the world to find summer wherever it happened to be at the time  :D
You can head here to Southern California! Right now, it's in the mid 70s. By next Saturday, it'll be around the high 70s low 80s.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:56:43 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #361 on: January 23, 2020, 06:04:27 PM » Author: Rommie
You can head here to Southern California! Right now, it's in the mid 70s. By next Saturday, it'll be around the high 70s low 80s.
That's an idea, I have friends in San Diego..! All I need now is the money  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #362 on: January 23, 2020, 09:33:15 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Forecast is saying we have a slight chance of snow here next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday.
Guess we'll see if any of the little systems that provide those chances amount to much...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #363 on: January 24, 2020, 08:49:16 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, ha... I wouldn't want to get caught up in ANY of that lol...

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #364 on: January 24, 2020, 10:00:56 AM » Author: CEB1993
I remember Georgia winters, I'll take 22°and snowing over 36° and raining any day ! The dry winter days were nice , the wet winter days SUCKED ! :D

It's humid where I live most of the time and that humidity makes it feel colder than the actual temperature, and makes it feel damp and chilly inside the house. We have a lot of cold, rainy days where it's as cold as it can possibly be without any freezing precipitation. I agree, I'd take a colder temperature and a pretty snow over a warmer temperature and a cold rain any day!

After living up in New York last year, South Carolina sometimes feels just as cold for different reasons. NY had lower air temperatures and SC has higher humidity and more rain that exaggerates the air temperature. It's been windy this winter too. All the cold rain and constant wind reminds me of what it's like in Scotland and England during the winter. I've heard places like St. Andrews (home of the world's most famous golf courses) gets a lot of wind and rain, but not too much snow.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #365 on: January 24, 2020, 10:06:31 AM » Author: CEB1993
Assuming ofcourse that this was a supercell storm, it coulda been the storm's RFD (Rear-Flank Downdraft) .. those RFD winds can sometimes get quite strong & do a fair bit of damage.

That's really interesting! I've felt downdrafts and it's kind of creepy how a warm spring or summer day is suddenly chilled by a cold downward wind. They usually mean that the storm contains hail  :o I think I had a "wind tunnel" effect at my house because of the car port. Strong downward wind might have been ducted through the car port and amplified enough to blow the lawn furniture up to 100 feet away from the yard. No signs of hail damage, but it was obviously extremely powerful winds. We never had an official tornado sighting, so I'm thinking this could have been the result of an RFD.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #366 on: January 24, 2020, 11:43:24 AM » Author: Rommie
I can't take high humidity, which is why places like Florida are a no-go for me. Heat is ok if it's dry, I've been in Arizona in 100°+ heat with no problems, but if I'm soaking wet as well, no thanks..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #367 on: January 24, 2020, 12:29:00 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Ice disk in Loudon,NH.[url]

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #368 on: February 01, 2020, 08:37:45 AM » Author: CEB1993
We finally got a little dusting of snow yesterday morning  :D The weather forecast called for all rain and 40 as a high, so I was shocked when I saw big, wet snowflakes falling outside.   It snowed for about an hour, and a little bit stuck. Here’s my windshield before I drove off yesterday. Snow in my region is notoriously difficult to forecast.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:39:44 AM by CEB1993 » Logged

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #369 on: February 05, 2020, 11:16:24 AM » Author: CEB1993
We have up to 5 inches of rain in the forecast between now and Thursday evening. That's over a month's worth of rain in about 24 hours  :o According to our local weather service, the average monthly rainfall for February in upstate SC is about 3.95 inches. I'm expecting overflowing storm drains, flooded sections of road, and even some landslides up in the mountains near me. It's going to be bad... When driving and encountering flooded roads "Turn around, don't drown!"  ;)

This same system is reaching all the way up to the northeast USA and Canada and will bring about 5 inches of snow and ice to upstate NY where I used to live last year. Overall, it's been a less snowy winter for NY and a somewhat mild winter for SC this year. Looks like February is going to be mild and rainy with rain and thunderstorms nearly every day in the forecast next week.

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #370 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:51 PM » Author: Cole D.
Last week there was one night, where there was thunder and some approaching storms. Brought some rain for about half hour. Then, Friday night, it rained late at night and into Saturday morning.

But tomorrow night we are supposed to get some severe weather with thunderstorms and possibly causing tornado warnings. But severe thunderstorm warnings at least.

Surprising since so far, we hadn't had any severe weather and hardly any thunder this winter here.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #371 on: February 06, 2020, 12:34:48 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
That's really interesting! I've felt downdrafts and it's kind of creepy how a warm spring or summer day is suddenly chilled by a cold downward wind.
Yep its an odd feeling with that cool/cold air from a downdraft

but it was obviously extremely powerful winds. We never had an official tornado sighting, so I'm thinking this could have been the result of an RFD.
The RFD winds can exceed 100mph,  and can be strong enough to flip vehicles (more so something like a van or truck than a car), or rip the roof off a house...

-----------
We have up to 5 inches of rain in the forecast between now and Thursday evening.
This same system is reaching all the way up to the northeast USA and Canada
Possibly part of the same system that passed through here Mon/Tue, giving around 6-7" of snow in my area (and a low of -5F this morning)
There's another chance of snow Friday

-----------
I see there was 6 tornado reports in MS today
(plus numerous hail & high-wind reports there & surrounding states...)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #372 on: February 06, 2020, 08:58:06 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Snow for the next two days here.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #373 on: February 06, 2020, 09:11:18 AM » Author: 589
Today 70 Frankenstein and monsoon. Tomorrow freezing and snow. It’s a roller coaster here, par for the course.

:lps:

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #374 on: February 06, 2020, 10:06:10 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Today 70 Frankenstein and monsoon. Tomorrow freezing and snow. It’s a roller coaster here, par for the course.
It was like that here too 50s one day and 20s the next!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies