Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190047 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #390 on: February 08, 2020, 09:15:38 AM » Author: Rommie
I couldn't even get up my street. After getting stuck, I ended up having go back out of the neighborhood, and come back in a different entrance, so I could come down my street (oooh the joys of living on a hill, & the county snowplow truck doesn't come around...)
Ah, but if you live at the TOP of the hill, you won't get snowed in..! My dad once bought a house at the top of a hill for precisely that reason. Also it had the added benefit that if he couldn't get his car started, he had a nice long ramp to roll down to help it get going  :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #391 on: February 08, 2020, 10:48:15 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
We got somewhere around 6-7" earlier this week...
And another foot today...
I couldn't even get up my street. After getting stuck, I ended up having go back out of the neighborhood, and come back in a different entrance, so I could come down my street (oooh the joys of living on a hill, & the county snowplow truck doesn't come around...)

There's a few more chances of snow in the forecast for next week too.
Tomorrow's supposed to be sunny & a high near 50 though .lol. typical CO weather warm one day, freezing the next.
I know how you feel my house is on a hill and the plow truck comes very late. Once the slush freezes it's a sheet of ice!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #392 on: February 08, 2020, 06:17:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Cloudy weather is the norm for us here in the UK, during the height of summer we might get a few cloudless days if we're lucky.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #393 on: February 08, 2020, 06:57:30 PM » Author: Rommie
Apparently, (and I was shocked at this), but the UK is the tornado capital of the world!!!!, it’s said that more tornadoes form here per month than in the US!, but there is a difference, unlike the massive F5 monsters that touch ground in the US and can last for hours, travelling mile after destructive mile, ours barely last minutes and very rarely from into a full funnel that most are not even noticed!
Some do form though, but only touch ground for a few seconds, and minimal damage is ever done, apart from a few damaged roof tiles!
However, on the 28th of July 2005, Birmingham in the UK, (about 60 miles from us), suffered the worst recorded tornado here doing considerable damage to houses! As for supercells, sadly no, but I would love to see one first hand!

I remember that one very well..! I was a bus driver in the area at the time, and while I didn't see it happen personally (I was off duty that day), it affected a couple of my routes and we had some extremely cumbersome diversions for quite a while.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #394 on: February 08, 2020, 09:49:59 PM » Author: CEB1993
We had a beautiful snow this morning. I spoke too soon thinking I wasn’t going to get any snow this year. It was just enough to leave a dusting on the ground and frost all the tree branches. So pretty to watch falling and it didn’t cause any problems for driving afterwards  :)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #395 on: February 08, 2020, 10:20:49 PM » Author: CEB1993
According to reliable sources, England has the most tornadoes per square mile.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-tornadoes-by-area/

We had an official report of an F1 tornado touching down in Spartanburg county, South Carolina. This storm caused considerable damage including ripping the garage door off the back of a Home Depot building.

Last Thursday, we had a lighting strike about 100 yards away from my workplace and torrential rain. The wind wasn’t too bad, but we had lots of thunder and the humidity was oppressive. The lake near my house flooded and the ground continues to be saturated and at risk for future flooding. Two days later it snowed! If you don’t like the weather in South Carolina, wait 5 minutes haha! February tends to be a weather wild card for us and this year it’s been especially interesting. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #396 on: February 09, 2020, 08:58:40 AM » Author: Rommie
We had a beautiful snow this morning. I spoke too soon thinking I wasn’t going to get any snow this year. It was just enough to leave a dusting on the ground and frost all the tree branches. So pretty to watch falling and it didn’t cause any problems for driving afterwards  :)
For the life of me, I will never understand what people see in snow. Each to their own, I suppose, but I'd rather be warm, dry, and not have wet stuff going down the back of my neck..!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #397 on: February 09, 2020, 09:59:58 AM » Author: Cole D.
Thursday evening, around 11 there was strong wind and rain here when I went to sleep. But apparently early Friday morning, there was lightning also. Not really any damage due to the storm here though.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #398 on: February 09, 2020, 10:12:37 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm honestly not sure if I believe that the UK has a higher tornado rate. Heck, does England even have tornado sirens?
Speaking of tornadoes and the UK... what's up with this "Storm Ciara" that I'm hearing about? This is apparently taking
place in the UK as we speak, with videos posted about it just 3 hours ago.
Apparent tornado warnings included with this storm, along with 100mph winds...?

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #399 on: February 09, 2020, 11:52:33 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
We suppose to have some storms late trough the Tuesday. Which now my lightning detector that I just built is now FINALLY DONE! I'll have pics of it soon. ;)

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #400 on: February 09, 2020, 12:06:49 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I'm fine with the snow I just hate how cold it is.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #401 on: February 09, 2020, 02:18:33 PM » Author: suzukir122
I don't like snow. At all. (Except for maybe snowball fights) But I really, really have a hatred for the cold.
Cold, cloudy days? I'll pass on that. lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #402 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:37 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I don't so much mind snow...
But I hate cold - especially when it gets down to single digits (or even worse - below zero) F

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #403 on: February 14, 2020, 12:32:48 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Being in California, it's always warm. In the winter I don't like 70 or higher lol. I also hate wearing jackets. I personally don't mind the cold at all.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #404 on: February 14, 2020, 02:44:50 PM » Author: Rommie
Being in California, it's always warm. In the winter I don't like 70 or higher lol. I also hate wearing jackets. I personally don't mind the cold at all.
Want to swap places..? If you don't mind the cold, you'll love it here  :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies