Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190069 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #645 on: July 29, 2020, 07:11:50 AM » Author: suzukir122
No threat of thunderstorms today, from what I've seen in forecast. None tonight either, but some threat to the north of us tomorrow.
Still, so far this year, the weather hasn't been as bad as I thought it'd be. At all... and we've pretty much passed the primary time
period for severe weather. It's not over yet though until winter is back.
So far here, I haven't encountered anything regarding the threat of tornadoes, or any tornadic storms. No storm has been potent enough
for anything like that, at least not here.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #646 on: August 01, 2020, 09:32:54 AM » Author: Cole D.
@Cole D, do you know if there was rotation with the other storm you talked about? If no rotation, it was definitely not a Supercell.
Sounds more like a Severe Thunderstorm than anything.
Speaking of that, we've got thunderstorms heading our way here in Ohio. None of which look severe, but they are still in the process
of developing. That, and we've got high temps, and high humidity today. I work in a couple hours, and I planned on taking my motorcycle,
but I can't due to these storms heading our direction.
I WISH I could view a beach thunderstorm... especially a Supercell one, with the classic UFO base cloud. The most severe a thunderstorm
can possibly become, all in distant view. That'd be awesome.

I don't believe it had any rotation, as I didn't see a weather alert for it. But the winds were very strong, as I'd say tropical storm force wind speeds from that one.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #647 on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:50 AM » Author: Cole D.
Hurricane Isaias is a category 1 storm now, which will come up the eastern coast of Florida tonight and then up the east coast, possibly eventually up to New England by later this week. Hopefully it veer more right, and not be as severe threat other than outer bands of rain and wind.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #648 on: August 03, 2020, 10:52:48 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Anyone who is in the path of this hurricane please take in your fixtures to keep them safe! Stay safe everyone.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #649 on: August 03, 2020, 05:57:54 PM » Author: CEB1993
Looks like Isaias is making landfall in South Carolina today! Charleston, SC is getting up to 3 inches of rain and up to 50 mph winds. Myrtle Beach, SC is really going to get slammed with up to 7 inches of rain and hurricane force winds. I’m glad I’m not at the coast right now. Further inland, I have some brief heavy rain in the forecast tonight, but nothing too bad.

I’m expecting this to cause coastal flooding and some beach erosion. Charleston is partially below sea level, so flooding is always a problem there. Watch out for heavy rain and strong winds from SC all the way up to NY and parts of Canada. Stay safe everyone  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:02:51 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #650 on: August 03, 2020, 09:16:58 PM » Author: Cole D.
Looks like Isaias is making landfall in South Carolina today! Charleston, SC is getting up to 3 inches of rain and up to 50 mph winds. Myrtle Beach, SC is really going to get slammed with up to 7 inches of rain and hurricane force winds. I’m glad I’m not at the coast right now. Further inland, I have some brief heavy rain in the forecast tonight, but nothing too bad.

I’m expecting this to cause coastal flooding and some beach erosion. Charleston is partially below sea level, so flooding is always a problem there. Watch out for heavy rain and strong winds from SC all the way up to NY and parts of Canada. Stay safe everyone  ;)

Here at further inland, we didn't get much to this storm. Sunday had mostly overcast skies, windy and misty as the effects of the outer bands. Not even any rain storms. We did however, have on Saturday evening a  heavy rain, but it only last a few minutes. Most of Saturday even, was sunny, until evening when there were some dark clouds and light rain showers.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #651 on: August 04, 2020, 06:01:22 PM » Author: CEB1993
Isaias is hitting NYC and New York State just as hard as it hit the South Carolina coast. I used to live in Albany, NY for a short time for school and the forecast there tonight is really rough. Heavy rain and sustained 45 mph wind with gusts up to 60 mph. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is built on top of a huge hill, so the winds will be even stronger up there. Isaias is also going to hit SE Canada including Montréal. I’m surprised that this minimal category 1 hurricane has stayed strong as it moved over so much land.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #652 on: August 04, 2020, 08:50:38 PM » Author: paintballer22
I live in Cape Cod MA. Thee wind was not too bad here and barely any rain.
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #653 on: August 08, 2020, 11:05:04 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
NOAA is predicting more hurricanes than usual, some are probably major.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #654 on: August 08, 2020, 11:47:44 AM » Author: Cole D.
No rain here yesterday during day, but last night about 5 PM or so, there was thunder and dark skies to the south. It kept having lightning strikes to south and the sky was all strange brown and peach colors at sunset.

By then I had gone indoors. But I looked out the front windows at about 8 PM, and by then the clouds were moving closer, and thunder louder. By about 8:30 it started raining very, very hard and lasted about an hour. I don't think there were any storm warnings from it though, but lightning did get somewhat severe.

Thursday night, no rain here, but there was lightning show from far off about 10 PM. Too far though to hear the thunder.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #655 on: August 08, 2020, 11:34:53 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: lightinglover8902
NOAA is predicting more hurricanes than usual, some are probably major.
Yep..they're predicting 19-25 "named storms" (so that includes both hurricanes & tropical-storms together)
Of those: 7-11 "hurricanes" (cat 1 & 2), and 3-6 "major hurricanes" (major being cat 3+)
These numbers include the storms that have already happened.
(note: this is just for the Atlantic. the Pacific is expected to have fewer than normal storms.)
(also: not all will make landfall!)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #656 on: August 08, 2020, 11:38:10 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Saw this beauty off in the distance, back on Aug 5.
Going for the classic UFO shape..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #657 on: August 09, 2020, 09:04:51 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, I'm not sure I've ever seen the classic UFO shape take shape within the outer portion of
the Cumulonimbus cloud. I've only seen it within the base cloud. I still bet that could be a Supercell storm though.
Was there rotation with that storm?

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #658 on: August 09, 2020, 10:15:36 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
When I got home, I didn't look at velocity on the radar to see if it had rotation, but it did end up getting severe-warned later.
It was still in the growing stage when I took the pic...so I don't think it was a supercell at that point.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #659 on: August 16, 2020, 08:41:29 AM » Author: High Intensity
Tonight, we had some unexpected rain and lightning, which was both nice, and annoying. Nice because lightning is uncommon here and i really like the way it looks and the way the thunder sounds, rain is also pretty uncommon too, especially around this time of year. The annoying part, however, is because of the various fixtures and bulbs that i am currently sorting from roadside finds had to be moved to prevent them from getting rained on.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies